Friday, March 20, 2009

Crossing into California

After a quick stop at Grandpa and Grandma's, we headed South. The drive was actually quite pleasant. We did not encounter any kind of traffic, the scenery was breathtaking and cruise control is awesome. The crossing into California was anticlimactic. We were on Hwy 97, a much smaller sibling to I-5. The two lane highway winds through the Siskiyous Mountains. As we turn a corner, a faded billboard quietly announces we've entered the Golden State. You almost don't believe that you're actually in California, until you reach the small town of Dorris, where each vehicle is stopped and "inspected" for fruits and vegetables. They used to conduct these inspections on I-5 as well, but to my knowledge haven't for several years. So I was surprised when the inspector asked us where we were coming from and if we had any fruits or vegetables. He chuckled when I told him we had left Culver, OR this morning. "That's a long way". I didn't want to blow his mind by telling him we were going all the way to Berkeley today. He let us through without even looking at the car. What I find ironic is the fruit they're trying to keep out is mostly grown in California. If it's so bad, why'd you let it out of the state in the first place?

No comments:

Post a Comment